1. How to keep your identity, money, and valuables safe
Make copies of your passport, itinerary, credit cards, insurance, and important contacts:
- Besides keeping this information securely on your smartphone, make sure to print this information in case your phone is lost or stolen.
- Consider keeping this same valuable information in a secured vault accessible through the cloud that you can access from any computer.
- Send your itinerary to close family and friends so they know where you are at all times. Establish regular check-ins to stay connected.
- Prepare a list of emergency contacts, including friends and family, insurance and emergency travel assistance, local embassy, hotel and transportation.
- Keep your passport in the hotel safe, along with copies of your credit card. Keep a copy of your passport and medical/travel insurance with you.
- If the hotel does not have a safe, or if you are staying in another type of lodging like an Airbnb, keep your important documents with you at all times.Have some cash (i.e. local currency) on you and know your currency exchange rate – not all places will accept credit cards, especially if you are traveling in more remote areas.
Familiarize yourself with the local ATMs and, of course, avoid using ATMs at night or in deserted areas. Do not keep all your money in one place — keep it in several places in case your wallet is stolen or lost.